World-class mining research and technological developments with far reaching implications for Australia’s future have been featured in Brisbane during the Queensland Centre for Advanced Technologies’ (QCAT’s) fourth annual Innovation and Excellence Day.
QCAT executive manager Tim McLennan said the event’s theme, ‘Impact through innovation’, highlights how research at QCAT has provided solutions to a variety of challenges faced by the mining and advanced manufacturing sectors.
“The itinerary provided guests with a comprehensive overview of how QCAT has evolved into an advanced precinct where research critical to the future of Australia is now being conducted on a daily basis,” McLennan said.
CSIRO chief executive Dr Geoff Garrett opened the event to leaders from government, industry and other major research institutions.
“Innovation and Excellence Day allowed QCAT to showcase its current and planned research projects before a wide range of stakeholders, thereby fostering research and business partnerships across the country,” Dr Garrett said.
Guests, including Queensland Minister for Mines and Energy Geoff Wilson, heard addresses by some of Australia’s leading experts in clean coal technologies, mining and minerals research, advanced materials research, robots and wireless sensors and aeronautical engineering.
- Dr David Harris from CSIRO Energy Technology with Frank van Schagen from the Cooperative Research Centre for Coal in Sustainable Development — Coal gasification in low emission technologies.
- Dr David Reid from CSIRO Exploration and Mining with Guy Mitchell from BHP Mitsubishi Alliance — Longwall automation — a successful CSIRO-Industry Partnership.
- Dr Lyndon Armstrong from Rio Tinto Alcan Queensland R&D Centre — Technology Directions in the Alumina Industry.
- Dr Peter Corke from CSIRO ICT Centre with Phil Thompson from the Powercom Group — TBC.
- Dr Philip Teakle from Teakle Composites — Case study of a new technology transfer company.
- Dr Cameron Davidson from CSIRO Materials Sciences and Engineering — Advances in light weight alloys with a focus on automotive applications.
- Dr Ralph Holmes from CSIRO Minerals — The importance of iron ore to Australia and CSIRO’s contribution.
- Mark Bateup from Defence Science Technology Organisation — DSTO-Brisbane and Hypersonic Flight.